About the Homestay
Welcome to Wiseacre, an expansive, private estate reminiscent of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr.—with a dash of “Mad Men."
This whimsical 4000sf Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired Mid-Century Modern home offers a relaxing retreat from the rat race (if not the rat pack). Wiseacre is a family-friendly destination, also suited for couples, individuals searching for solitude, reunions, NAVY business, work groups and those looking for a stop along the way along the east coast.
All on one-level with a cavernous 650sf great room with 20-foot ceilings, newly renovated chef's kitchen, 10' dining table, wet bar, all-season porch, multiple terraces—and 3 acres of landscaped grounds surrounded on three sides by picturesque Lake Whitehurst (sublime sunrises & sunsets). We are also experienced hosting weddings & events (contact host for details).
THE BIG PICTURE
* Guest Bedroom A: queen bed, HDTV/cable/HBO, lake view, bottled water, black-out drapes
* Guest Bedroom B: queen bed, lake view, bottled water, black-out drapes
* Private Bathroom: Jack & Jill bath shared between Guest Bedrooms A&B, step-in shower, towels, blow dryer, shampoo/conditioner
* Great Room: for 6+ overnight accommodations: pullout queen sofa sleeper, blow-up mattress available, half bath
KITCHEN FACILITIES: gas convection range, 22 cu.ft. refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker & Keurig, toaster, blender, air cooker, waffle iron, pots/pans, dishes, glassware, cooking utensils, cutlery.
OTHER FACILITIES: plenty of private driveway parking, Wifi, keyless entry, use of gas grill, 10’ dining table & chairs, 6’ wood-burning fireplace, central AC/heat, Amazon Firestick-equipped HDTV in kitchen, iron & board, porch, patio & terrace with furniture, lawn chairs, Amazon Echo… so much more!
THE FINER DETAILS
* Guests are privy to 2 private bedrooms with luxurious queen-size beds, memory foam mattresses and an updated en-suite bathroom w/step-in shower. First guest room includes 55-inch HDTV/DVR/DVD & full cable/HBO.
* For more than 4 guests, a queen-size pullout sofa is available in the great room. There is also a queen blow-up mattress available for an additional $10. For larger groups, it's time to get creative. There are comfy built-ins along the wall and space in the great room to... spread out. We’ve had as many as 18 sleep here! (Please discuss large groups with your host.)
* Keyless entry, WiFi, a personalized guide to local activities, and morning coffee/tea make your stay all the more restful.
* Amazon Echo is at home here; ask Alexa for weather, travel directions, news, and listen to music via Pandora, iHeart, Spotify and Amazon Prime.
* Smart TV in the Guest Room A with cable, HBO, DVR. Second Smart TV in the kitchen with connectivity via Amazon Firestick and all other subscription services and mobile connects.
* Also: Multiple terraces w/seating and vistas of spectacular sunrises & sunsets on the lake, hammock, fishing, baby grand piano, and plenty of safe parking.
Wiseacre is pleased to test out a "welcome" dog policy in 2018—within governance. First, s/he is regarded as any other guest: Guests MUST book your pet at the same rate as any adult or child! 30-pound limit. Dog must be truly house-trained and socialized (to be kind to 2yo Cavalier King Charles resident Charlotte).
---> Any EVENT with more than SIX hosted at the home must ABSOLUTELY be discussed with your host in advance. No visitors to the home other than those booked, without discussing with the host.
---> PLEASE NOTE: Your host is on premises during your stay. I am a full-time work-at-home journalist, and spend days in the back office. Consider this your private getaway... with a butler present.
Wiseacre is 5 minutes from the Chesapeake Bay, Norfolk Botanical Garden and Norfolk International Airport. The Virginia Beach oceanfront & boardwalk are an easy 15-minute drive. Downtown Norfolk is 12 minutes on I-64. Busch Gardens and Williamsburg are an hour away.
Enjoy the best of both worlds: serenity on-site & all conveniences minutes away. Welcome to Hampton Roads... and Wiseacre!
* Please see our 160+ reviews on Airbnb!
*Local restaurants, taverns, groceries, gas, museums, shopping within minutes. Lots of suggestions on-site.
* High-speed Internet: Password shared upon arrival.
* Keyless entry, with a personalized 4-digit code.
* Towels & Linens provided. Shampoo, blow dryer, iron at hand.
* Coffee & Tea: And lots of it.
* Parking: Private driveway.
* Sweet 1.5yo Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Charlotte is your co-host, who looks forward to meeting you. She spends 99% of her time with me in my office, and will grant you privacy—or love.
Private parking, free wifi, use of all public space in the home. I am not a fussy guy, so welcome you to enjoy yourself as if you are in your oasis away from home... and yet, as comfortable as being AT home.
- Internet Access
- Smoke alarm
- Smoke alarm on each floor
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Non Smoking
- Allow Smoking
- Air Conditioning
Bedrooms available for booking
About the Area
On the border of Norfolk and Virginia Beach, you are 1 minute from groceries, local seafood & steak restaurants, fun bars, and every retail outlet you can imagine. Everything you may need is minutes away.
Local Area Facilities
- Shopping Centre
- Health club
- Bus Stop
Hosts can offer a complimentary light breakfast at their discretion. All other meals, including a full breakfast, might incur an additional cost, if offered. Meals and any additional payment should be arranged directly with your host.
Included in the stay
- Complimentary Light Breakfast
- Use of Kitchen
Your host is a 50-year-old single guy who is young at heart and sociable. All ages welcome.
As a former New Yorker, I am flexible, accommodating and ready to welcome new friends. I am present during your stay, but consider me your butler... As a fulltime freelance writer, I spend most of my time in the back office... offering you the full use of my home!
Smoking is allowed outdoors only.
How do I book?
Contact the host to check their availability and ask them any questions you have about staying with them. Once the host confirms they’re available for your dates, you can complete your booking.
When do I pay?
Once a host confirms they're available, you can go ahead and pay the 15% booking fee (maximum of 250 $£€ for longer term bookings) using a choice of payment methods: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Maestro, Laser, JCB & PayPal (not available in certain countries). You then pay your host on arrival or as stated by your host on their profile and agreed by you on booking. Please be cautious if a host requests advance payment if its not included on their profile. Our hosts have been advised that if they wish to request advance payment they must make this explicit in their profile. We do not recommend the use of Money gram or Western Union.
When can I share my contact details?
Host and Guest email address, phone number and home address will be exchanged in a confirmation email sent to both immediately after a booking is completed. It's against our policy for Guests and Hosts to exchange direct contact details via our messaging system.